Sunday, September 25, 2011

Jenny Georgi




My passion with art began as a ‘hobby’ whilst raising two children. It has now transformed into my journey of becoming an ‘emerging artist’ and my dream is to become an accomplished Musician combining music and art.

My artistic, creative outpouring stems from having lived a very interesting and colourful life. Born in London, raised in Devon, then immigrating to an Australian outback opal-mining town, from the lushest part of England to the dry, arid, yet amazing Australian outback. I have been spoiled by two wonderful cultures, lifestyles and weather patterns and through this love of both beautiful countries, I have travelled back and forth several times gaining insight to both their wonderful wealth of offerings.

I have worked predominantly in the reception/clerical field and of these positions the most enjoyable one was that of Duty Manager at the Marion Cultural Centre here in Adelaide. The most honourable and rewarding unpaid role for me has undoubtedly been that of Motherhood however my time spent Volunteering with Riding for the Disabled, Make A Wish Foundation and at Coast Fm Radio Station as an On-Air Presenter have brought immense satisfaction.

Music is my biggest passion. I love to sing and play acoustic guitar which I taught myself at a very young age. That creativity also spills over into a love of art, delving into all it’s forms and never doing anything by halves, I have broken cardinal rules by trying to learn the complicated knack of watercolour painting at the same time as embarking on a journey with acrylics. I adore the fluidity that watercolour and ink bring to an artwork but feel comforted by the kindness that acrylics offer an Artist, allowing layers to be applied when a piece needs re-working and how forgiving that can be. I am very comfortable drawing in lead pencil and charcoal and have dabbled a little with pastels.

I have exhibited in Adelaide, also in SALA and once in New York City.

I grew up feeling a rapport with Salvador Dali and am still moved by the mystery and intrigue of his work today. I fell in love with Brett Whitely’s nudes the moment I first laid eyes on them. Kathryn Del Barton’s work lights my fire and drives me to want to paint more and paint better.
Marc Chagall also holds the key to driving my artistic passion.
Gustav Klimt’s work is utterly breathtaking in my eyes. Recently I saw Patricia Piccinini’s exhibition and was left almost speechless by its sheer beauty and magic. Frida Kahlo is a huge inspiration not only for her work but also for her courage.

However my most recent inspiration comes from my very talented partner in crime Artist Extraordinaire Steve Oatway. He inspires and encourages me on a daily basis with his constant support on every possible level. From our very first meeting whereupon he encouraged me to let down my hair and throw paint literally all over his floor rug our union now lies written in bold paint forevermore. Being part of his unique world is a privilege and seeing first hand the process involved in the making of his amazing junk art metal sculptures and dynamic paintings, as only a true Outsider Artist creates, I now speak and understand his language very clearly. His Mentorship has helped me blossom in life, love, art and music and our journey continues to be a wonderful work in progress.


Ph +61 407 123405
e jennygeorgi@hotmail.com