Friday, May 1, 2009

Update 2 May 2009

It has been about one year now since I began planning for this festival.
I have organised the Outsiders group in Redbubble and the group now has about 300 members.
Until yesterday I had a full time day job and now I have some time to get into action.
The major obstacle I am facing is that in Australia, particularly Adelaide the word Outsider is being seen as very negative.
Organisations that work with people with disabilities in particular are against this term.
I have tried to change it to Visionary, but Redbubble have refused to do the change.
The good news is that Overseas the term is widely accepted, therefore the majority of members in Redbubble are from America.
Interesting also is that the term is nowadays very broad- it includes plein-air painters (outside!) photographers, people with no formal training, unemployed, etc.
We have a committee that is involved in organising the festival and we are in the process of finalising the venues and the program.
We are continually looking for new participants and sponsors.

Stefan Maguran
http://www.maguran.com/
http://www.stefanmaguran.blogspot.com/
www.stefan-maguran.blogspot.com